Need an Owner's Manual?

Need help troubleshooting a problem with your Overhead Door garage door opener?

Interested in ordering replacement parts for your Overhead Door Garage Door Opener?

Your email:

Posts by category

Garage Door Blog

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

Why Won't My New Overhead Door Wireless Keypad Work?

OKP-BX keyless entryMy new Overhead Door wireless keypad will not work with my garage door opener!

I just bought this new Overhead Door wireless keypad and it will not program to my Legacy opener!

Will a new Overhead Door wireless keypad work with my older model garage door opener?

The programming instructions for this new Overhead Door wireless keypad are confusing!

These are just a few of the comments we receive from our customers...

Very often a customer will try for hours to program a new wireless keypad to their existing garage door opener. You can hear the frustration in their voices. You can almost see the look of helplessness in their faces. However, in most cases this frustration can be resolved by following a couple simple programming steps.

First, you must understand that the new Overhead Door wireless keypads are set from the manufacturer in what is referred to as Series II mode. A Series II keypad simply means that it automatically seeks and transmits at the most optimal radio frequency. This feature eliminates the possibility of radio interference and ensures optimal operation.

OWK-BX keyless entryAll older model Overhead Door Code Dodger garage door openers manufactured after 2001 utilize Series I technology. Series I technology allows the keypad to randomly rotate through billions of different security combinations but only transmits at one radio frequency.

As you can guess, Series I mode and Series II mode are not compatible and is why a customer has trouble programming a new wireless keypad to an older model Code Dodger garage door opener.

However, the good news is that the new Overhead Door wireless keypad can be set to operate at the Series I mode.

To change a new Overhead Door wireless keypad from Series II to Series I mode follow these steps:

1. Open the cover to the keypad
  2. Press and release the #3 button
  3. Press and release the #5 button
  4. Press and release the #7 button
  5. Press and release the up/down button
  6. Press and hold the Program button until you see the LED change from green to red
  7. Release the Program button

The wirelss keypad is now in the Series I mode and can be programmed to any Overhead Door Code Dodger garage door opener.

To find detailed programming instructions, please refer to the links listed below.

Series II Programming Instructions          Series I Programming Instructions

OKP-BX keyless entry                                              OWK-BX keyless entry

To order a new Overhead Door wireless keypad, please click on the link listed below.

For technical support it is recommended to contact your local Overhead Door distributor by calling 1-800-929-3667.

Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky is a second generation family owned company that provides residential and commercial garage doors, automatic openers, dock equipment, commercial steel entry doors and retractable awnings to the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky communities. Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky has been a proud distributor of Overhead Door products for 65 years.

If you are located in Greater Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky and need an IDA certified garage door technician to repair your garage door click here to schedule an appointment

If you are located in Greater Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky and need information about scheduling an annual maintenance inspection, click here.

To order replacement Overhead Door garage door parts go to our online parts store at www.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

For more information about Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky visit our website at www.OverheadDoorOnline.com.

Comments

Does anyone know how to program a Model # 456 with a OKP-BX wireless keypad? The 456 Model only has the 3 switches inside the back of the unit
Posted @ Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:25 PM by Doug
The OKP-BX wireless keyless entry will not work with the Overhead Door #456 garage door opener. Unfortunately, there is no longer a wireless keypad compatible with this older model garage door opener. I would recommend ordering the universal hard-wired Domino keyless entry. The link to order this keyless entry is http://www.overheaddoorpartsonline.com/products/KEYLESS-ENTRY-%252d-DOMINO.html
Posted @ Monday, February 04, 2013 2:26 PM by Dave Willmes
My Overhead door keeps reversing. I have to keep stopping it and re-starting it until it goes down. There is nothing in the way. And, it's not the sun shining on the start/stop controls!
Posted @ Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:06 PM by Bob Wheeler
There are several different things that could be causing your problem and they all would require a professional technician to diagnose the solution.

I would recommend to schedule a service call with your local Overhead Door distributor to repair your garage door opener. You can locate your local Overhead Door distributor by calling 1-800-929-3667.
Posted @ Monday, April 22, 2013 12:18 PM by Dave Willmes
My key pad wont work either and i just have the # 0-9 and an enter button. How do i get it to work?
Posted @ Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:01 PM by Amanda
Programming instructions for the different style Overhead Door and Genie key pads a can be found using the link listed below.

Posted @ Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:37 AM by Dave Willmes
My keypad for the Phantom stopped working even with a new battery.Wall button works. Any suggestions?
Posted @ Sunday, September 08, 2013 6:58 PM by Donald E. Harms
The first thing I would recommend to do is to reprogram the keypad. For detailed programming instructions, click on the link listed below

If the key pad still doesn't work after reprogramming it, I would recommend to replace it. To order a replacement key pad for the Phantom garage door opener, you can use the link listed below.

Posted @ Monday, September 09, 2013 8:11 AM by Dave Willmes
My legacy keypad operates to open on ANY number you press on the keypad!!! I have cleared it, reset it, and it still ends up opening when you press ANY number??? So I had to clear it completely and not use it as it is useless and not secure
Posted @ Sunday, November 03, 2013 8:48 AM by alba
One of the most common complaints that we receive about the wireless keypad is that if "I press any button the garage door opens or closes".

However, this is simply a misunderstanding as to how the key pad works.

Once you enter your security code and activate the garage door opener, the key pad goes into a "safety mode". This safety mode allows you to press any button to stop or start the garage door opener.

The reason for this safety mode is that if you activate the door and see a problem and you need to stop the door from opening or closing, the homeowner can do it quickly by pressing any button.

You can identify if the key pad is in the safety mode by the back key pad LED. If the key pad is lit up, then the keypad is in the safety mode. Once the back light key pad LED goes out the key pad is out of the safety mode.

If the keypad opens or closes the door when the key pad LED is not lit, the keypad is either not programmed incorrectly or faulty and need to be replaced.

To order a replacement key pad use the link listed below

Posted @ Monday, November 04, 2013 7:52 AM by Dave Willmes
I am replacing my old wireless keypad. I just bought an OKP-BX keypad. I can program one PIN, but I cannot program a second PIN.

my old black keypad (with the slide up cover), allowed me to store several PIN numbers. Does this new version not allow that? I found instructions at http://www.overheaddoorgt.com/media/pdf/howtoprogram.pdf suggesting I could program one PIN with 357-Program Button, then a second pin with 159-Program Button. But this is not working.
Posted @ Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:00 PM by Mark
I am not aware that the OKP-BX keypad will allow you to program different PIN numbers to open/close different garage doors.

The keypad will allow you to program it to open/close multiple doors using the same PIN and designating different door numbers.

For example, your PIN can be 1-2-3-4. To open one door your PIN is 1-2-3-4-1 and to open the other door the PIN is 1-2-3-4-2.

For more detailed programming instructions, I would recommend to refer to the manufacturer's website at

Posted @ Monday, November 25, 2013 7:47 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a Legacy model 696CD/8. My dad nuts installed a universal keypad for me and now our remote openers don't work. Yikes!
Posted @ Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:49 AM by Jen
I always recommend to use the Overhead Door keypad that is designed to work with the Legacy 696CD/B garage door opener.

However, it sounds as if you completely erased the memory before you programmed the new keypad.

At this point, you will need to reprogram the remote controls back into the circuit board. For detailed programming procedures, you can download an owner's manual by visitingwww.OverheadDoorOnline.com.

The direct link to download the correct owner's manual is listed below.

Posted @ Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:58 AM by Dave Willmes
What's the average transmit life expectancy? My codedoger2 doesn't seem to xmit any frequencies now (as checked with a frequency counter). New batteries, complete reset, no xmit. Any diags on unit or is it time to buy new?
Posted @ Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:25 PM by Steve
I can't provide you with an average life expectancy of a wireless key pad. The life expectancy can depend on several factors including how often the key pad is used, how hard the buttons are pressed when using it and weather conditions.

One thing that I would recommend as a solution is to clean off the battery terminals in the key pad. Some times these terminals can become corroded over time resulting in the battery not making the proper connections. To clean the battery terminals, simply take a nail file and file the terminals clean.

If you try this solution, replaced the battery and tried to re-program the key pad and the key pad still doesn't work, I would recommend to replace the key pad.

Replacement key pads can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct key pad is listed below.

Posted @ Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:48 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a model 65A - I bought a universal wireless keypad that said it worked with The Overhead Door Company models...after opening the packaging and reading the instructions, it turns out it only works for models manufactured in 1995 and newer. Are there any tricks I can try to make it work? Or, does The Overhead Door Company have a keypad that works with model 65A? Thanks for the help!
Posted @ Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:41 PM by James Nowasell
Unfortunately because the Overhead Door 65A is an older model garage door opener, a wireless universal remote is not compatible.

I would recommend to order a universal Domino keyless entry. The Domino is a hardwired key pad that can be installed on any model garage door opener.

The Domino key pad can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct keypad is listed below.

Posted @ Monday, May 12, 2014 7:20 AM by Dave Willmes
What model of keypad entry system will work with my Overhead Door model 556 1/2 hp garage door opener?
Posted @ Monday, October 06, 2014 7:44 PM by Don Lindberg
Since a wireless keypad is not available for the Overhead Door #556 garage door opener, I would recommend the Domino keyless entry.

The Domino keyless entry is a universal hard-wired keypad that is compatible with any model garage door opener.

The Domino keyless entry can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct keypad is listed below.

Posted @ Tuesday, October 07, 2014 7:58 AM by Dave Willmes
Name
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics

Proudly servicing Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky

Visit Our Showroom
2571 Ritchie Avenue
Crescent Springs, KY 41017
Office Hours
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (M-F)
7:30 a.m. - Noon (Sat)