How do I get the remote control built into my car to work with my Overhead Door garage door opener?
The most popular technology used for vehicle-based wireless control systems is called HomeLink ®. This technology enables you to open and close your garage door with buttons that are integrated into your automobile’s interior.
Programming procedures can vary depending on the make, manufacturer and model of your vehicle and of your garage door opener. To locate the correct procedures to follow, it is recommended to visit the Programming Your Vehicle page on the HomeLink ® website.
Specific programming instructions for Overhead Door model garage door openers can be found listed below.
Newer Model Overhead Door Garage Door Openers
If you have a newer garage door opener from Overhead Door®, including a Destiny®, Odyssey®, or Legacy® 850 and the first 5 digits of the serial number is 11291 or greater please click here for to the HomeLink® Programming instructions for these newer garage door opener models.
For any serial numbers smaller than 11291, follow the programming instructions outlined below.
• Press and hold the two outside buttons on the HomeLink® system until the LED starts to blink, release buttons.
• Press and hold the desired HomeLink® button and the transmit button on your rolling code transmitter at the same time until the HomeLink® LED changes from a slow blink to a rapid blink. (Your system is now programmed)
• Locate the learn code button on your garage door opener. (These are located under the light cover or on the rear panel depending on model)
• Press the learn code button on the garage door opener, a red LED will start to blink. (You will have 30 seconds to complete programming)
• While the LED on the garage door opener is blinking, return to the vehicle and press the pre-programmed HomeLink® button 4 times. (Or until the garage door operates).
Older Model Overhead Door Garage Door Openers
If you have an older model Overhead Door garage door opener not listed above such Legacy 696, Legacy 496, OverDrive 990, Signature 950 or the Python series, please click here to find the appropriate HomeLink ® programming instructions.
HomeLink® is a registered trademark of Gentex Corporation. For system problems call 1-800-355-3515 or visit their website.