You depend on your garage door. However, you probably don’t give it a thought . . . until it doesn’t go up or down.
A garage door that doesn't work can be a major problem if your car is stuck in the garage or if you are locked out of your home.
As you stand in front of a garage door that doesn't work, it doesn't seem too intimidating. After all, all it does is go up and down. However, where do you start? What should you be looking for?
We have listed below some simple steps to follow if you want to try to fix your garage door yourself.
Although, if you follow these steps and begin to wonder why am I doing this, please remember that it is relatively easy for professional IDA Certified garage door technician to diagnose and fix many garage door repairs.
Do not hesitate to contact an IDA Accredited garage door company to quickly and easily fix your garage door system. Garage doors are under a tremendous amount of tension and can be very dangerous. Working on a garage door can result in injury if you do not know what you are doing.
Here are some common garage door problems (and repairs).
- The garage door won’t open (or close). You might just need new batteries in your remote, keypad, or wall button. Or perhaps they need to be reprogrammed. If the door is stuck open, check to be sure the photoelectric eyes near the base are aligned and not obstructed.
- The garage door sticks. Tracks, rollers or hardware may be dirty. Clean everything with a little household cleaner, then re-lubricate moving parts with a lubricant that is recommended by an IDA Accredited garage door company. The tracks may have small dents or flat spots which can be gently tapped out.
- The garage door sags on one side. If it’s a multi-sectional door, the hinges on one side may need tightening. It’s also possible the tracks on each side are out of alignment – use a level to check.
- The garage door closes then reopens again. Closing pressure or limits may be out of adjustment; you can adjust it, but do so in small increments.
- The garage door doesn’t close all the way. Something may be obstructing the photoelectric eyes, or they may not be aimed directly at one another. If they’re OK, you can increase the closing pressure or adjust the limits, but again, do so in small increments.
- Broken springs or a broken motor. These are the most serious garage door repairs. If you have a broken spring or need repair to your garage door opener, you will need to contact an IDA Accredited garage door company. It is always recommended to replace springs in pairs, to ensure balanced operation.
Regular maintenance of your garage door system may help prevent some garage door repairs. But if your garage door isn’t working and you can’t easily fix it, calling an IDA Accredited garage door company that specializes in garage door repairs.
An IDA Certified garage door technician will inspect your entire garage door system to make sure that all safety features are working properly. They will review all moving parts including springs, rollers and hinges. All moving parts will be lubricated and the operation of the garage door system will be tested for proper operation.
Since your garage door is an essential part of your home, it is recommended to have an IDA Accredited garage door company provide annual maintenance inspections. In many cases, a professional garage door company will offer discounts if you sign up for an annual maintenance program. Be sure to ask your technician as to what program they would recommend.
Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky is a second generation family owned company that provides residential and commercial garage doors, automatic openers, dock equipment, commercial steel entry doors and retractable awnings to the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky communities. Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky is a proud distributor of Overhead Door products for 65 years.
If you are located in Greater Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky and need an IDA certified garage door technician to repair your garage door click here to schedule an appointement
If you are located in Greater Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky and need information about scheduling an annual maintenance inspection, click here.
To order replacement Overhead Door garage door parts go to our online parts store at www.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.
For more information about Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky visit our website at www.OverheadDoorOnline.com.
Much of the information discussed above was provided by Overhead Door Company of Denver