Need an Owner's Manual?

Need help troubleshooting a problem with your Overhead Door garage door opener?

Interested in ordering replacement parts for your Overhead Door Garage Door Opener?

Your email:

Posts by category

Garage Door Blog

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

My Overhead Door Opener Doesn't Work with this Universal Remote

I just bought this universal remote control and I can’t get it to program into my Overhead Door garage door opener. What am I doing wrong?

This is a common story that we hear from our customers.

Very often the customer is not doing anything wrong. Except for the fact that universal remote controls available at the big box stores are not compatible with the older model Overhead Door garage door openers.

Many universal remote controls advertise that they can be programmed into Overhead Door brand garage door openers. This statement is true for the newer style “rolling code” (i.e. Code Dodger) Overhead Door garage door openers. It is not true for the older model openers manufactured prior to 1995.

Overhead Door garage door openers such as the model #456, 551, 556, and 1000A utilize a unique radio frequency technology that is not compatible with the universal remote controls available at the big box stores.

So what do you do?

Are remote controls still available for these older model Overhead Door garage door openers?

The good news is YES.

Replacement remote controls are still available for the older Overhead Door Remote Controlmodel Overhead Door garage door openers. However, you will need to determine the radio frequency of the garage door opener.

The frequency code can be found the on the back side of an existing remote control. You will be looking for a code similar to 360, 380 or 390.

380 frequency remote control

If you can not locate the frequency on an existing remote control, you can still find this information inside the motor head up in the ceiling. Remove the motor cover and locate the circuit board. You should see a white sticker with the frequency code located near the antenna wire.

Once you know the radio frequency you can order a replacement remote control that is compatible with your model garage door opener.

Replacement remote controls for the older model Overhead Door garage door openers can purchased at www.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

order-anoverhead-doorremote-control

Programming instructions are included with the remote control. However, each model garage door opener can have specific programming instructions that must be followed. It is always recommended to refer to an owner’s manual for your garage door opener for specific programming instructions.

Owner’s manuals are also available at www.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

download-an-overhead-door-opener-owner

Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky is an independently owned and operated Overhead Door distributor. We have been servicing the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky communities for over 65 years. For more information about Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky visit our website at www.OverheadDoorOnline.com.

Comments

Hi
I'm from Canada and I own a 556C model and need a new remote.
Have tried to order a 390 I remote from your site and got an error message indicating that my address was not working, please advise (as I can't find a universal remote that would work)
thx
Posted @ Monday, June 04, 2012 1:18 PM by Jean Maltais
Hello: I own an Overhead Door model 45A. Which universal remote is compatible with model OHD 45A?

Tony
Posted @ Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:05 AM by Tony
Unfortunately, a universal remote control will not work with an Overhead Door #45A garage door opener.

You will need to order the remote control that is specific to your model garage door opener and radio frequency.

I would refer you to the following blog article for more information about how to order the correct remote control.

Posted @ Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:19 AM by Dave Willmes
One of my door opener(Model 2026) is not working with remote (OCDTR-3). Both are same made.
Other one is working with both remote.
Both door opener(Model 2026) and remotes (OCDTR-3)
What can be wrong???? tried program again, no results Red light blink faster when I try
Posted @ Thursday, October 03, 2013 8:35 PM by Hemant
I assume the red light that blinks faster is the LED on the 2026 motor head that is located next to the learn code button.

If this LED blinks faster, it is an indication that the garage door opener is not receiving a signal from the remote control during the programming process.

Double check to see if the LED located on the remote control is red when you press a button. If the button doesn't turn red, change the battery.

If you replace the battery and it still doesn't turn red then the remote control may be bad and needs to be replaced.

If the LED on the remote control is red and you still can't get the remote control to program then double check the owner's manual to make sure you are following the correct programming procedures.

Replacement remote controls for the Overhead Door 2026 garage door opener can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct remote control is listed below.

Posted @ Friday, October 04, 2013 11:05 AM by Dave Willmes
I am having difficulty programming a Clicker universal keypad to my legacy 800 2026 opener. Any suggestions?
Posted @ Monday, November 18, 2013 11:38 PM by Mike
I don't recommend the Clicker universal keypad. I would recommend to use the key pad that is designed for the Overhead Door Legacy 800 garage door opener.

This key pad can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct key pad is listed below.

Posted @ Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:11 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a model 456 Overhead door. Remote only works if I put it very close and above unit. Seems to be reception issue. Tried moving around antenna. No help..Not sure what to do.Battery is new and tried other remotes...
Posted @ Wednesday, December 04, 2013 9:29 PM by Brian Moon
If you are having the same reception problem with all your remote controls, the problem may be with the radio receiver unit on the circuit board inside the motor head.

Unfortunately, replacement circuit boards for the #456 garage door opener have been discontinued and are no longer available.

I would recommend to contact your local Overhead Door distributor by calling 1-800-929-3667. They may be able to help.
Posted @ Thursday, December 05, 2013 7:38 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a model 456. The operator light is flashing in groups of four. I can't get it to accept my opener code. Any thoughts?
Posted @ Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:15 PM by Jeff shaver
I am not aware of an error code of 4 flashes. If the opener is flashing 5 times, that would indicate an error with the radio receiver assembly.

If the radio receiver was malfunctioning, that would be the reason why you can't program your remote controls.

For more information, I would recommend to download an owner's manual for the 456 garage door opener.

Reference the link below to download the correct owner's manual.

Posted @ Monday, December 16, 2013 7:26 AM by Dave Willmes
I moved into a house with a Overhead Door Model 556 (390 MHz) garage door opener. Do you know of any keyless entry pads that are compatible with this unit? I know that the Chamberlain Clicker "universal" keypad (Model KLIK2U) doesn't work (I tried it before searching the internet - oops!) Thank you for any help!
Posted @ Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:21 AM by Brian Marsh
Hi!
I moved into a house with a Overhead Door Model 556 (390 MHz) garage door opener. Do you know of any keyless entry keypads that are compatible with this unit? I know that the Chamberlain Clicker "universal" keypad doesn't work (I tried it before I searched the internet - oops!)
Thanks for any help!
Posted @ Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:26 AM by Brian Marsh
Unfortunately, wireless key pads for the Overhead Door #556 garage door opener have been discontinued and are no longer available.

Your best option would be to install a universal hard-wired keypad. The wired key pad I would recommend to install in the Domino keyless entry.

Although it is hardwired to the garage door opener, it is not difficult to install and can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the Domino keyless entry is listed below.

Posted @ Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:16 AM by Dave Willmes
Would love to have a keychain remote, but not having much luck sorting out whether possible. My rental unit has an Overhead garage door which I'm told is very old, based on the old remote I was given. All that can still be read on that remote is freq of 360-BBB. The dealer programmed a new Overhead remote for me from the old one but couldn't help with keychain question as the old remote was used with more than one model door.

Back home afterward, I checked and can see "55B" and "1/3 hp" on side of the overhead box -- would 55B be the model number? If yes, is it possible to find a keychain remote?

While the new Overhead remote is huge improvement over the old (much lighter and a bit smaller), the button stands above the surface just enough to make it easy to accidentally push when I carry remote in my purse. For example, I've accidentally opened the garage door from my living room!

Hoping to find a bit more convenience.
Posted @ Sunday, May 04, 2014 8:09 PM by D.Z.
Unfortunately, a key chain remote control that is compatible with the Overhead Door 55B garage door opener is not available.

Since the 55B garage door opener is an older model, replacement parts are limited. However, replacement remote controls are still available and can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

To order a remote control that is compatible with the 360-BBB radio frequency, refer to the link listed below.

Posted @ Monday, May 05, 2014 10:03 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a 450A model garage door opener and don't see any mention of this model type when trying to determine the opener I need to order. It was installed in 1990 and has a 390 frequency. I can't seem to figure out which remote I should order. Do you have any information that could help me?
Posted @ Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:17 PM by Matt
Replacement remote controls for the Overhead Door #450A garage door opener can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The 390 frequency indicates the type of remote control you need to order.

To order the correct remote control for your model garage door opener, please reference the direct link listed below.

Posted @ Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:27 AM by Dave Willmes
I can not find the frequency, but i have a Garage door remote model G5456 is there a remote i can buy for this... i currently have a key that opens it from the outside and i cant find a remote
Posted @ Tuesday, August 05, 2014 1:50 PM by Jessica
I have an extra remote that I want to use for an existing garage door so I want to link it to the remote controller that I already have and have moved the little levers so they match but still not working? Help
Posted @ Friday, September 05, 2014 11:21 AM by Mary
Refer to the owner's manual of the garage door opener for remote control programming instructions. Overhead Door owner's manuals can be downloaded by using the link listed below.

Posted @ Friday, September 05, 2014 12:16 PM by Dave Willmes
Anyone know where I can get a remote for an Overhead Door "Touch 'N Go" model 50 (about 30 yrs old). Thanks. Luke
Posted @ Friday, September 12, 2014 2:52 PM by luke
Replacement remote controls for the Overhead Door Touch N Go garage door openers are no longer available.

Your best option would be to install a new external radio receiver kit. The kit includes a receiver, transformer and a remote control.

The radio receiver kit can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct part is listed below.

Posted @ Friday, September 12, 2014 4:01 PM by Dave Willmes
Name
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics

Proudly servicing Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky

Visit Our Showroom
2571 Ritchie Avenue
Crescent Springs, KY 41017
Office Hours
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (M-F)
7:30 a.m. - Noon (Sat)