Need an Owner's Manual?

Need help troubleshooting a problem with your Overhead Door garage door opener?

Interested in ordering replacement parts for your Overhead Door Garage Door Opener?

Your email:

Posts by category

Garage Door Blog

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

My Overhead Door Opener Doesn't Work with this Universal Remote

I just bought this universal remote control and I can’t get it to program into my Overhead Door garage door opener. What am I doing wrong?

This is a common story that we hear from our customers.

Very often the customer is not doing anything wrong. Except for the fact that universal remote controls available at the big box stores are not compatible with the older model Overhead Door garage door openers.

Many universal remote controls advertise that they can be programmed into Overhead Door brand garage door openers. This statement is true for the newer style “rolling code” (i.e. Code Dodger) Overhead Door garage door openers. It is not true for the older model openers manufactured prior to 1995.

Overhead Door garage door openers such as the model #456, 551, 556, and 1000A utilize a unique radio frequency technology that is not compatible with the universal remote controls available at the big box stores.

So what do you do?

Are remote controls still available for these older model Overhead Door garage door openers?

The good news is YES.

Replacement remote controls are still available for the older Overhead Door Remote Controlmodel Overhead Door garage door openers. However, you will need to determine the radio frequency of the garage door opener.

The frequency code can be found the on the back side of an existing remote control. You will be looking for a code similar to 360, 380 or 390.

380 frequency remote control

If you can not locate the frequency on an existing remote control, you can still find this information inside the motor head up in the ceiling. Remove the motor cover and locate the circuit board. You should see a white sticker with the frequency code located near the antenna wire.

Once you know the radio frequency you can order a replacement remote control that is compatible with your model garage door opener.

Replacement remote controls for the older model Overhead Door garage door openers can purchased at www.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

order-anoverhead-doorremote-control

Programming instructions are included with the remote control. However, each model garage door opener can have specific programming instructions that must be followed. It is always recommended to refer to an owner’s manual for your garage door opener for specific programming instructions.

Owner’s manuals are also available at www.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

download-an-overhead-door-opener-owner

Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky is an independently owned and operated Overhead Door distributor. We have been servicing the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky communities for over 65 years. For more information about Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky visit our website at www.OverheadDoorOnline.com.

Comments

Hi
I'm from Canada and I own a 556C model and need a new remote.
Have tried to order a 390 I remote from your site and got an error message indicating that my address was not working, please advise (as I can't find a universal remote that would work)
thx
Posted @ Monday, June 04, 2012 1:18 PM by Jean Maltais
Hello: I own an Overhead Door model 45A. Which universal remote is compatible with model OHD 45A?

Tony
Posted @ Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:05 AM by Tony
Unfortunately, a universal remote control will not work with an Overhead Door #45A garage door opener.

You will need to order the remote control that is specific to your model garage door opener and radio frequency.

I would refer you to the following blog article for more information about how to order the correct remote control.

Posted @ Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:19 AM by Dave Willmes
One of my door opener(Model 2026) is not working with remote (OCDTR-3). Both are same made.
Other one is working with both remote.
Both door opener(Model 2026) and remotes (OCDTR-3)
What can be wrong???? tried program again, no results Red light blink faster when I try
Posted @ Thursday, October 03, 2013 8:35 PM by Hemant
I assume the red light that blinks faster is the LED on the 2026 motor head that is located next to the learn code button.

If this LED blinks faster, it is an indication that the garage door opener is not receiving a signal from the remote control during the programming process.

Double check to see if the LED located on the remote control is red when you press a button. If the button doesn't turn red, change the battery.

If you replace the battery and it still doesn't turn red then the remote control may be bad and needs to be replaced.

If the LED on the remote control is red and you still can't get the remote control to program then double check the owner's manual to make sure you are following the correct programming procedures.

Replacement remote controls for the Overhead Door 2026 garage door opener can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct remote control is listed below.

Posted @ Friday, October 04, 2013 11:05 AM by Dave Willmes
I am having difficulty programming a Clicker universal keypad to my legacy 800 2026 opener. Any suggestions?
Posted @ Monday, November 18, 2013 11:38 PM by Mike
I don't recommend the Clicker universal keypad. I would recommend to use the key pad that is designed for the Overhead Door Legacy 800 garage door opener.

This key pad can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct key pad is listed below.

Posted @ Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:11 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a model 456 Overhead door. Remote only works if I put it very close and above unit. Seems to be reception issue. Tried moving around antenna. No help..Not sure what to do.Battery is new and tried other remotes...
Posted @ Wednesday, December 04, 2013 9:29 PM by Brian Moon
If you are having the same reception problem with all your remote controls, the problem may be with the radio receiver unit on the circuit board inside the motor head.

Unfortunately, replacement circuit boards for the #456 garage door opener have been discontinued and are no longer available.

I would recommend to contact your local Overhead Door distributor by calling 1-800-929-3667. They may be able to help.
Posted @ Thursday, December 05, 2013 7:38 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a model 456. The operator light is flashing in groups of four. I can't get it to accept my opener code. Any thoughts?
Posted @ Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:15 PM by Jeff shaver
I am not aware of an error code of 4 flashes. If the opener is flashing 5 times, that would indicate an error with the radio receiver assembly.

If the radio receiver was malfunctioning, that would be the reason why you can't program your remote controls.

For more information, I would recommend to download an owner's manual for the 456 garage door opener.

Reference the link below to download the correct owner's manual.

Posted @ Monday, December 16, 2013 7:26 AM by Dave Willmes
I moved into a house with a Overhead Door Model 556 (390 MHz) garage door opener. Do you know of any keyless entry pads that are compatible with this unit? I know that the Chamberlain Clicker "universal" keypad (Model KLIK2U) doesn't work (I tried it before searching the internet - oops!) Thank you for any help!
Posted @ Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:21 AM by Brian Marsh
Hi!
I moved into a house with a Overhead Door Model 556 (390 MHz) garage door opener. Do you know of any keyless entry keypads that are compatible with this unit? I know that the Chamberlain Clicker "universal" keypad doesn't work (I tried it before I searched the internet - oops!)
Thanks for any help!
Posted @ Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:26 AM by Brian Marsh
Unfortunately, wireless key pads for the Overhead Door #556 garage door opener have been discontinued and are no longer available.

Your best option would be to install a universal hard-wired keypad. The wired key pad I would recommend to install in the Domino keyless entry.

Although it is hardwired to the garage door opener, it is not difficult to install and can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the Domino keyless entry is listed below.

Posted @ Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:16 AM by Dave Willmes
Would love to have a keychain remote, but not having much luck sorting out whether possible. My rental unit has an Overhead garage door which I'm told is very old, based on the old remote I was given. All that can still be read on that remote is freq of 360-BBB. The dealer programmed a new Overhead remote for me from the old one but couldn't help with keychain question as the old remote was used with more than one model door.

Back home afterward, I checked and can see "55B" and "1/3 hp" on side of the overhead box -- would 55B be the model number? If yes, is it possible to find a keychain remote?

While the new Overhead remote is huge improvement over the old (much lighter and a bit smaller), the button stands above the surface just enough to make it easy to accidentally push when I carry remote in my purse. For example, I've accidentally opened the garage door from my living room!

Hoping to find a bit more convenience.
Posted @ Sunday, May 04, 2014 8:09 PM by D.Z.
Unfortunately, a key chain remote control that is compatible with the Overhead Door 55B garage door opener is not available.

Since the 55B garage door opener is an older model, replacement parts are limited. However, replacement remote controls are still available and can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

To order a remote control that is compatible with the 360-BBB radio frequency, refer to the link listed below.

Posted @ Monday, May 05, 2014 10:03 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a 450A model garage door opener and don't see any mention of this model type when trying to determine the opener I need to order. It was installed in 1990 and has a 390 frequency. I can't seem to figure out which remote I should order. Do you have any information that could help me?
Posted @ Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:17 PM by Matt
Replacement remote controls for the Overhead Door #450A garage door opener can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The 390 frequency indicates the type of remote control you need to order.

To order the correct remote control for your model garage door opener, please reference the direct link listed below.

Posted @ Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:27 AM by Dave Willmes
I can not find the frequency, but i have a Garage door remote model G5456 is there a remote i can buy for this... i currently have a key that opens it from the outside and i cant find a remote
Posted @ Tuesday, August 05, 2014 1:50 PM by Jessica
I have an extra remote that I want to use for an existing garage door so I want to link it to the remote controller that I already have and have moved the little levers so they match but still not working? Help
Posted @ Friday, September 05, 2014 11:21 AM by Mary
Refer to the owner's manual of the garage door opener for remote control programming instructions. Overhead Door owner's manuals can be downloaded by using the link listed below.

Posted @ Friday, September 05, 2014 12:16 PM by Dave Willmes
Anyone know where I can get a remote for an Overhead Door "Touch 'N Go" model 50 (about 30 yrs old). Thanks. Luke
Posted @ Friday, September 12, 2014 2:52 PM by luke
Replacement remote controls for the Overhead Door Touch N Go garage door openers are no longer available.

Your best option would be to install a new external radio receiver kit. The kit includes a receiver, transformer and a remote control.

The radio receiver kit can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct part is listed below.

Posted @ Friday, September 12, 2014 4:01 PM by Dave Willmes
Hi,
I just purchased a "Clicker" Universal wireless keypad remote. I own a Python 2 OCG800. I followed the steps on the universal remote and i even followed the steps on the manual for OCG800 and I can't get the keypad to snyc with the python 2
Posted @ Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:56 PM by John
I don't recommend the Clicker universal keypad because of problems similar to what you are describing.

I would recommend to use the Overhead Door wireless keypad that is designed for the Python II OCG800 garage door opener.

This keypad can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct keypad is listed below.

Posted @ Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:33 PM by Dave Willmes
How do I tell what frequency my Touch N Go 2000 remote? There is no number on the back of my remote and I have tried changing batteries but the remote does not open my garage door. I see 3 firrerent frequency remotes on the Overhead website.
Posted @ Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:52 PM by Kenneth
I am not familiar with a Touch N Go 2000 but the Overhead Door Touch N Go 1000 was a popular model garage door opener.

To locate the frequency of the garage door opener, remove the motor cover and locate the circuit board inside the motor head. You should be able to see a white sticker near the antenna wire. The white sticker will contain the frequency code.

You will see a frequency code similar to 390-BBC. If the suffix is numeric, replacement remote controls are not available. If the suffix is alphabetical, replacement remote controls are available and can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.
Posted @ Friday, October 24, 2014 8:09 AM by Dave Willmes
Model 556. Can anyone suggest a universal remote that will work?
Posted @ Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:32 PM by Rob
The only universal remote control that will work with the Overhead Door #556 is the Overhead Door Master remote control.

The Master remote control can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct remote control is listed below

Posted @ Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:27 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a model 555. The green operator light is flashing in groups of five. As of recently the door will open and close correctly, then not at all (acts like the unit is completely dead). Then shortly thereafter it will work again. Unplugging and re-plugging the unit in did not help. I downloaded the 455/555 manual and Troubleshooting section did not address this issue. I suspect that it might be a motor issue (perhaps a flat spot?) Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Posted @ Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:55 AM by Michael M. from Michigan
Unfortunately, replacement parts for the Overhead Door #555 garage door opener have been discontinued and are no longer available.

I would recommend to contact your local Overhead Door distributor by calling 1-800-929-3667. I'm sure they can assist you with a replacement garage door opener.
Posted @ Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:49 AM by Dave Willmes
I am having difficulties setting up my Chamberlain Universal Garage Door Remote with our Overhead Door Model #456. The two just are not programming together when I do the steps. Am I doing something wrong or is the Chamberlain remote even compatible with the Overhead model?From what I believe, the model is from 1995 and the remote directions says it will still work from that year.
Posted @ Sunday, February 15, 2015 12:43 PM by Grace C.
Unfortunately, the Chamberlain universal remote control is not compatible with the Overhead Door #456 garage door opener.

Replacement remote controls for the 456 can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct remote control is listed below.

Posted @ Monday, February 16, 2015 8:04 AM by Dave Willmes
We have identical Genie Intelicode Garage door openers and 1 KLIK1U for both openers, recently they stopped responding, the Red LED light on the openers both flash when the clicker button 1 or 2 are pressed respective, but no operation of any kind, any ideas? Could it be the clicker it was left in the garage during a freeze and electronics can be affected in extreme temps.
Posted @ Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:35 PM by Ken
It is possible that the LKIK1U remote control still works because the red LED flashes.

I would recommend to reprogram the remote control into the garage door opener.

If you try to reprogram the remote control and it still does not work, I would recommend the order a replacement remote control. As opposed to using an off brand remote control, it would be best to order a Genie brand product.

Genie remote controls can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link is listed below.

Posted @ Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:43 AM by Dave Willmes
I have functioning old Overhead Door Opener 1000A. We have a portable remote and two remotes which are installed in our cars. All remotes will operate the door opener, but it seems like we are having to get closer and closer to the garage for the remotes to open the door. Doesn't seem like a battery issue, since common to all three remotes. Any suggestions?
Posted @ Friday, March 06, 2015 8:33 PM by Walt Jebens
If you are experiencing the same distance problem with all your remote controls including the Home Link remotes built into your cars, I would expect that the problem is related to the radio receiver assembly. It is possible the radio receiver is going bad.

One option that is available is to replace the radio receiver assembly. Replacement radio receiver kits can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order a replacement radio receiver kit is listed below.

Posted @ Monday, March 09, 2015 7:24 AM by Dave Willmes
id like to program my 2013 Dodge Ram 3500 to my oh garage good. It has an up and down arrows and one button to the right. I used the button to the right as learn and followed instructions on my truck and it didn't program. Any inputs
Posted @ Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:49 PM by Brian smith
I recommend for your to visit the following website for Home Link and Car2U programming instructions.

Posted @ Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:05 AM by Dave Willmes
I have an odyssey 1000 and am attempting to find a wireless keypad for it. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble locating any information that says what particular keypads will work. I'm having no problem finding which ones don't work. Thanks for your help
Posted @ Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:53 AM by Joel
A wireless keypad for the Overhead Door Odyssey 1000 garage door opener can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

For your convenience, I have listed below the direct link to order the correct wireless keypad.

Posted @ Monday, March 16, 2015 6:58 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a Overhead 1000A with no handheld remote.

I want to program the garage door to my Range Rover.

On newer model garage door units there is a "learner" button. I have read the manual but can not seem to find an answer.

What do you suggest
Posted @ Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:24 PM by Elizabeth
In order to program your Overhead Door 1000A garage door opener to your Range Rover, you will need to install a universal radio receiver kit.

The receiver kit includes an external radio receiver, a transformer and a hand held remote control.

You can order a receiver kit online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link to order the correct part is listed below.

Posted @ Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:33 AM by Dave Willmes
I have a Model 65A opener. The Chamberlain universals did not work.
I can't read the frequency numbers on the existing remote or the receiver. They seem to be worn off. We were able to program my wife's car but that's the only thing working right now. Is there any way to match up serial numbers and frequencies. Do I have any other options other than the new receiver?
Posted @ Sunday, March 22, 2015 4:52 PM by David Miller
Unfortunately, if you do not know the radio frequency of your 65A garage door opener, your only option would be to install an external radio receiver kit.

You can order a radio receiver kit online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

The direct link is listed below.

Posted @ Monday, March 23, 2015 7:36 AM by Dave Willmes
Can I find an remote control for tach n go 1000
Posted @ Friday, March 27, 2015 7:28 PM by ned
Thank you for your email and visiting our website atwww.OverheadDoorOnline.com.

Replacement remote controls for the Overhead Door Touch N Go 1000 are still available and can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartOnline.com. However, you will need to determine the current radio frequency of your garage door opener. For more information on how to determine the correct remote control to order for your specific model garage door opener, please refer to the blog article listed below.

Posted @ Monday, March 30, 2015 7:35 AM by Dave Willmes
I purchased a home recently with two Overhead Door model 450A openers. I would like to replace the motor units but keep the rails. The remotes work, sometimes, and I do not have a keypad. What motor boxes do I order to replace the 450A motors?
Posted @ Friday, April 24, 2015 7:55 AM by Mike Clemons
Unfortunately, you are not able to replace the motor unit for the Overhead Door 450A garage door opener.

Replacement parts are not longer available.

I would recommend to contact your local Overhead Door distributor by calling 1-800-929-3667 to discuss to the options that are available to replace your garage door openers.
Posted @ Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:51 PM by Dave Willmes
Name
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics

Proudly servicing Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky

Visit Our Showroom
2571 Ritchie Avenue
Crescent Springs, KY 41017
Office Hours
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (M-F)
7:30 a.m. - Noon (Sat)