Need an Owner's Manual?

Need help troubleshooting a problem with your Overhead Door garage door opener?

Interested in ordering replacement parts for your Overhead Door Garage Door Opener?

Your email:

Posts by category

Garage Door Blog

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

Programming Your Overhead Door for a HomeLink System

Many of our customers have cars with remote controls built into their dashboard. As a result, they want this built-in remote control to be programmed to open and close their garage door.  Programming your car is a simple process if you follow the steps outlined below:

First, please note that you must have a hand-held remote control already programmed to open/close your garage door. This hand-held remote control will be used to program your car. If you do not have a hand-held remote control, please refer to our online parts store at www.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com. We offer a complete selection of remote controls that will work with any Overhead Door or Genie garage door opener.

Overhead Door remote control

Second, some vehicles may require the ignition be turned on or the vehicle actually running to program the Homelink® transceiver.

To program a rolling code (i.e. CodeDodger or Intellicode) compatible Homelink® system, please follow these steps.

1. Press and hold the two outside buttons on the Homelink® system until the LED starts to blink, release buttons

2. Press and hold the desired Homelink® button and the transmit button on your rolling code transmitter at the same time until the Homelink® LED changes from a slow blink to a rapid blink. (Your Homelink® system is now programmed)

3. Locate the learn code button on your garage door opener. (These are located under the light cover or on the rear panel depending on model)

4. Press the learn code button on the garage door opener, a red LED will start to blink. (You will have 30 seconds to complete programming)

5. While the LED on the garage door opener is blinking, return to the vehicle and press the pre-programmed Homelink® button 4 times. (Or until the garage door operates).

We always recommend for you to refer the vehicle's owner's manual for more detailed programming instruction. Many automobile manufacturers may have slight variations in the programming instructions that are not outlined above.

If you have problems with the Homelink® system please call 1-800-355-3515 or their website at http://www.homelink.com/home

Homelink® is a registered trademark of Johnson Controls, Inc.

Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky is a second generation family owned company that provides residential and commercial garage doors, automatic openers, dock equipment, commercial steel entry doors and retractable awnings to the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky communities. Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky has been a proud distributor of Overhead Door products for 65 years.

If you are located in Greater Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky and need an IDA certified garage door technician to repair your garage door click here to schedule an appointment

If you are located in Greater Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky and need information about scheduling an annual maintenance inspection, click here.

To order replacement Overhead Door garage door parts go to our online parts store at www.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

For more information about Overhead Door Company of Northern Kentucky visit our website at www.OverheadDoorOnline.com.

Comments

have a 2013 highlander. I am trying to program it to a 4040L Overhead operator which the manual says is home link comp. I have tried every combination imaginable and I can't get the doors to operate from the car. Any help will be appreciated.
Posted @ Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:02 PM by Bill
I would recommend to call Home Link directly at 1-800-355-3515.

However you may need to purchase a Home Link repeater kit which can be ordered online atwww.OverheadDoorPartsOnline.com.

You can use this link to order the repeater kit. http://www.overheaddoorpartsonline.com/homelink-repeater-kit/
Posted @ Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:08 PM by Dave Willmes
I had the same problem and called Homelink (and waited over 45 min. over 2 calls)... they had no information for me and were very rude... Well it turns out that the 4040L is a dual frequency controller and Homelike is only a single... sure wish Homelink knew their product because it would not have taken me hours of research... So you have to do the same steps with the wireless keyless entry pad. Once you unscrew it and take it off the wall(the screw is in the area of the battery) you enter your code and press the up/down arrow button close to the system in the car until the light flashes rapidly and then the "learn" button on the back of the lift box on the ceiling and within 30 seconds press the car button that you just programmed. I hope this helps someone...
Posted @ Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:06 PM by Lee Ann Pantalone
Well I definitely enjoyed reading it. This article provided by you is very helpful for accurate planning.
Posted @ Friday, July 26, 2013 4:42 AM by garage door installation Calgary
Great, Really informative information about garage door repair services . Hope other homeowner's also like it.
Posted @ Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:43 PM by Hardin Montoya
Lee Ann Pantalone, great answer. this really helped!!!
Posted @ Friday, September 13, 2013 10:30 AM by Nir
I can't get our new garage door opener to set up with our cars homelink. I have a 2005 Honda Accord V6 & a 2013 Genie SilentMax 1000 Belt drive 3/4 HP garage door opener...any help would be greatly appreciated. Our old door opener broke and we had to replace it. Homelink worked fine with old door opener, but we can't get this new one to set up and recognize new opener.

Do we have to have key on accessory in the vehicle?

Do the doors on the vehicle have to be closed?

Do we use the top button on the hand held remote or one of the others...since the door opener uses a different rolling code each time it opens?

Please help :(
Posted @ Sunday, October 13, 2013 11:18 PM by Kim
Please refer to the u-tube video listed below. This may help.

I would also recommend for you to contact HomeLink at 1-800-355-3515 or their website at http://www.homelink.com/home
Posted @ Monday, October 14, 2013 7:29 AM by Dave Willmes
Thank you Lee Ann Pantalone! I had a Highlander for almost 2 years and couldn't get it programed, same issue with new Venza, removing the keypad and using that worked in seconds!
Posted @ Friday, November 22, 2013 7:43 AM by Ray
This is how I set it up on my Honda Accord and Odyssey vehicles:

1. Follow steps 1 and 2 as mentioned above.
2. Learn code button on Odyssey 1000 is the square button.
3. Press learn code button for 2-3 seconds on Odyssey 1000. As soon as you see blue light (small LED), depress the square button. You will see purple blinking light (longer LED).
4. Follow step 5 as mentioned above but you have to press the intended homelink button (in your vehicle) only twice. Your vehicle's homelink system should be able to operate the garage door from this point onwards.

Hope to help!
Posted @ Friday, April 25, 2014 7:43 PM by Charanjit Singh
I can't say thank you enough to the post by Lee Ann Pantalone. I have been trying to get my wife's new Hyundai Santa Fe HomeLink to operate our Overhead Door opener for over a year. I had finally given up and stuck the old transmitter on the visor.

Today I followed the instructions of using the wireless keypad to program the HomeLink in the car and VIOLA!! it works!!

Thank you soooo much!
Posted @ Monday, June 09, 2014 7:56 PM by Jeff Yelle
my overhead door 4040L works however
it hits the ground and opens repeatedly until
I hit the button a second time.
any suggestions?
Posted @ Monday, July 14, 2014 8:14 PM by Joyce
It is difficult to determine the exact problem with your garage door opener. However, the first step I would recommend is to re set the up and down limits of the opener. The limit settings are what tell the garage door opener to stop when opening and closing.

To re set the limits, refer to the owner's manual. To download the owner's manual refer to the link listed below.

If you try to rest the limits and the problem continues, the circuit board would need to be replaced.

To order a replacement circuit board online refer to the lonk listed below.

Posted @ Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:31 AM by Dave Willmes
Thanks for the post to use the keypad to train the car Homelink. I have a new Accord 2014 and the three button remote would not train. The keypad trained the first try! This blog would have saved me several hours. PS The salesman at St. Louis Honda couldn't program by Bluetooth or the garage.
Posted @ Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:49 PM by Bluescorer
I have been unsuccessful at programming my Honda Odyssey's Homelink buttons with my Overhead Legacy model garage door opener, even though I've followed the exact instructions above. Does anyone know if there's something different I'm supposed to do with this model or with my van? Thank you.
Posted @ Sunday, September 07, 2014 7:48 AM by Jim
I would recommend to contact Home Link directly by calling 1-800-784-5028. They should be able to assist you with programming your Honda Odyssey.
Posted @ Monday, September 08, 2014 7:30 AM by Dave Willmes
Name
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics

Proudly servicing Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky

Visit Our Showroom
2571 Ritchie Avenue
Crescent Springs, KY 41017
Office Hours
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (M-F)
7:30 a.m. - Noon (Sat)